8/08/2005

At the spur of moment

Many a time, I am taunted as a guy who has poor planning and timing. I agree that I am not a planner, I am more of a spontaneous kind of a person. And I think things I do spontaneously work out best than the ones pre - properly - planned. This applies especially to my picnics or road trips.

Friday went to the cities to meet up with my friend. We had no plan what so ever in our minds for the weekend. Got up late on Saturday and then we were just pondering upon the options available. Finally decided at 11AM to leave for this port city in the upper midwest. Thought it would be a 4 hr drive and hence we will have a night halt at one of our friends. After checking the internet found that it was 6hr drive. Anyways, we stuck to this now ready plan, and set out for our journey.

Reached there at 6PM we had some chat and then took a stroll around the Lake Michigan. It is mammoth but beautiful. Came back and then decided to have our dinner outside. Again it was, 10PM in the night with most of the restaurants closed. Somehow found out one restaurant in Downtown which is open 24/7. Had our dinner there, food was Ok. Came back home and off I went to bed.

The next day morning, had tasty breakfast of "pohe" and "Idli". Some home cooked food after a long time, and at that time I felt the drive was worth it. We chatted for long and then at 1PM decided to head back to the cities. I had to catch a shuttle at 7:15 so we had 6 hrs to cover 340 miles . Luckily the traffic was supportive (fast). Cruising at 85mph the distance didn't feel that long, until we reached the cities where we had to take the city roads to reach the airport.

I was very luck again, as we reached the airport just in time. At 7:10 I got off the car, slowly walked to the shuttle's office. No sooner did I reach the counter they announced for the shuttle departure. Got in the shuttle and reached home at 8:45 PM.

Everything worked out so perfectly that one would think it was nicely planned. But in fact, nothing was planned, it was just spontaneous and worked out very well. I know it doest always work and that's why I am trying to be more disciplined. But, I am glad that once again it worked well, and hope this spontaneity will keep helping me in the long run till I become a disciplined person.

1 comment:

UK said...

dude.. u saved me from describing our trip.. :-) ... it was a road trip..