8/23/2005

Over indulgence

I think the internet has played a major role in making me a loner. Agreed that I didn't have friends when I came to this town but that didn't make me loner. I must admit that it is the internet that has made me loner. So I started using internet more and more frequently so that I could be at least in touch with my old friends by "chatting" with them online. As it continued I slowly realized that I was caught in a viscious circle, that kind off prevented me from making new friends.

There are definitely many advantages of using computers and internet. I guess I need not mention it in detail as it is self evident but I guess at the same time it has made people very anxious, detached and lonely. Not only that but it makes you more and more indulgent, and to me that is the biggest concern. Because it is the over indulgence in to computers and internet that makes you more and more detached and thus lonely.To give you the best example, today I just logged into my yahoo messenger and browsed my yahoo messenger buddies list, to my surprise (or horror) I have some 62 people added to my list which are supposed to be my "friend ". So I ask myself thse following questions and I answer it myself.
"If I have so many "friends" should I feel lonely?",
"Absolutely not".
"So do I really have 62 friends?",
the answer is obviously "NO".
"Then why I have these many people in my list?"
the clear answer to this question is "Over indulgence".

And just when I thought emails and messengers were the root cause of all this malices(may be) we now have this extremely popular thing "blogging". Anyways keep blogging

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's really true.. technology is bringing every one closer virtually.. people are finding new ways to socialize.. so instead of talking to the person next door/cubicle, we go for quick and dirty solutions provided by internet.. definitely there are some advantages to it but then we tend to forget that there is life outside the NET too. Luckily, my summer in Minneapolis reminded me of that and hopefully I'll keep it that way.